By Gerde Applethwaite
Shorter: A random collection of things I’d like to see in the world of motorcycle gear.
1) I’d like to see all manufacturers offer a full (solid) hi-viz version of each of the helmets in their line.
2) Isn’t it about time that helmet design technology advanced beyond the simple EPS liner?
I’d like to see manufacturers come up with a helmet that replaces the conventional EPS liner with Sas-Tec or D3O viscoelastic material. I know D30 makes a helmet liner – let’s see it in some motorcycle helmets. Also, there must be new energy absorption technologies on the horizon that can be mass produced. Let’s have them.
3) I’d like to see the manufacturers of cameras that are designed to be used on helmets come up with standardized universal mount that helmet manufacturers can then universally embrace and make a space for on their helmets.
4) I’d like to see a federal standard and standardized testing for helmet wind noise so that we can evaluate a motorcycle helmet more objectively.
5) I’d like to see replaceable, drop-down helmet sun shields that come with swappable dark and light brown polarized lenses.
6) I’d like to see more Scotchlite type reflective material on the back and sides of most jackets.
7) I’d like to see an inexpensive but durable solar charger panel (about the size of an ipad) that I can mount onto the tail of the bike that will allow me to charge my phone and/or GPS while I ride or while I am parked at the camp site.
Aye, now that we have that all sorted next up will be my list on motorcycles and then pastry. Mmmmm, pastry.